- Kids/Youth Center
During these constantly changing times, we want to make sure our youth members can continue to boost their knowledge! We have gathered some of our favorite youth resources to get you started. Along with the new resources below is CommonCents, our financial education program that is offered year-round to students in our community. We hope that these resources and activities can help provide your family with some inspiration.
EVERFI Family Portal
CommonWealth has partnered with EVERFI to provide financial education as part of our community engagement efforts. Today, we are delighted to be able to offer EVERFI’s full suite of K-12 courses to your families! Based on your child’s school, there are 100+ Interactive, self-paced, game-based, digital lessons to equip your child with skills for life such as character development, mental wellness, understanding Money
Digital Wellness and Safety, and MUCH MORE!
Signing up is easy! Here are the steps you need to take:
- Visit the EVERFI Family Portal
- Scroll down and click “Find Your School and Register”
- Enter your state and your child’s school name
- Register as a “Student/Learner”
- Receive the full catalog of age-appropriate courses for your child
Whether your child is in Elementary School, Middle School, or High School, click here to bring learning to life at home!
HERE ARE SOME FREE EDUCATIONAL APPS
- Scholastic - The leading educational company has set up a “Learn From Home” website with free daily courses for kids ages K-12
- Neoufitness - Help your kids stay fit through the pandemic with this super-fun fitness app for kids ages 4-12. The app offers a selection of 10-20 minute exercise classes and is free for the first 30 days.
- SmartMusic - The popular music practice app is offering free service through June 30 for all schools impacted by COVID-19. The app includes practice tools like a tuner, metronome, and fingerings, along with an extensive music library and immediate assessment of pitch and rhythm.
- World of Cents - The NCUA’s free money app is the perfect way to teach your kids about personal finances. They’ll learn all about earning, spending, saving and more through the app’s fun games designed for kids ages 5-10.
ACTIVITIES TO MAKE THE TIME FLY!
It isn’t easy to be holed up at home with only your family for company. As the parent, you have the unique opportunity to set the tone in your home and decide if these weeks will be a nightmare for everyone or filled with precious memory-making and family bonding activities.
Here are some fun activities to keep your kids busy while you wait out the pandemic at home:
- Marshmallow Tinker-Toys - For a fun twist on the classic building toy, take pretzel sticks and mini-marshmallows and let your child build a world of sweetness. Have them create pretzel-marshmallow people, houses, and entire towns. When they’re done, they can eat their sweet creations!
- Scrapbook - Spend some quality time reliving precious memories by digging out the scrapbooking supplies and old photos for creating a timeless masterpiece.
- Teach a Household Skill - Instead of feeling the stress from endless housework, enlist your child’s help! Even very small children can help sort laundry, load the washing machine and press the buttons to turn it on. Have the older ones help bake, letting them put their math skills to use by adding fractions in recipes.
- Simon Says, “Draw!” - Set up a table with paper, crayons, markers, stamps and any other fun coloring supplies you have. Seat your kids around the table and begin an intense game of Simon Says, only instead of movements, instruct your kids to draw something. You can have them draw basic shapes in specific colors or something more complex if they’re a little older. If anyone messes up, they’re out!
Connect to BALANCE
These days managing your money to meet life's many demands may seem difficult and confusing. But through a partnership with BALANCE, you--as a CommonWealth member--may seek information and advice on money management, saving and spending plans, housing, credit reports, and debt repayment options.
This is a free online resource that also features educational modules on the core aspects of personal financial management, such as Checking Account Management, 10 Steps to Financial Success, Smart Tax Planning, and more! By completing these courses, you can move toward financial success while demonstrating your commitment to sound money management.
July - The Psychology of Spending
We all have a “money personality” and it has a major impact on our attitudes, relationship with money, and spending habits. By understanding this, individuals can monitor and adjust their behaviors to make smart money decisions. This webinar will teach strategies and tactics to decode personality types to gain control over finances.
Date Time Session 1 Tuesday, July 14th
10:30am - 11:30am
Thursday, July 23rd
5:30pm - 6:30pm